Home Contact Calendar News Staff
Foreign Exchange Student Visa Information
In This Section
Foreign Exchange Student Visa Information
Foreign Exchange Student Visa Information



Policies, procedures and tuition subject to change.

Placement in specific highschool not guaranteed and subject to space.

For a guide to US international options and procedures visit the US Dept. of Homeland Security Guide for students : Study In The States

Guidelines for the Enrollment of Students with a Visa
Non-Immigrant (Visa) Classifications (most common):

J-1 Visa- Foreign Exchange Student

  1.       Enrollment grades 9 thru 12 only
  2.       Enrollment thru an Exchange Agency listed in the CSIET Advisory Catalog
  3.       Maximum stay – One Year
  4.       Minimum stay - One semester
  5.       Cannot receive a Diploma (but can participate in graduation ceremonies)
  6.       Expectations of the Student, Agency & the School model "School Policy" pages 3-7 in the CSIET Advisory List
  7.       Student generates state funding – Payment of tuition is not required
  8.       Registered with Minnesota Secretary of State ISEO list here: http://www.sos.state.mn.us/study-abroad/international-exchange-organizations-in-minnesota/
F-1 Visa - Student Visa
  •     Enrollment grades 9 thru 12 only

      Enrollment via Student Placement Department: Contact Martha Swanson, PDSO :Martha.Swanson@mpls.k12.mn.us or ‚ÄčLeana Hendrickson, DSO: Leana.Hendrickson@mpls.k12.mn.us


  •     ICE form I-20A now done on-line thru the SEVIS web site
  •     Payment of tuition required at the time of application - $9400 (1 full yr). Application (non-refundable) fee $75 may be assessed. Tuition and fees subject to change. Student does not generate state funding. 
  •     Can only attend the school listed on the form I-20A
  •     Maximum stay – One Year
  •     Minimum stay - One semester
  •     Can receive a Diploma and participate in graduation ceremonies
Common Visas allowed for attendance in public schools w/o paying tuition:
·         J-2 Visa – Spouse or Child of a J-1 Visa holder
·         F-2 Visa – Spouse or Child of an F-1 Visa holder
·         H-4 Visa – Spouse or Child of a H-1 or H-2 Visa holder
Common Visas NOT allowed for attendance in public schools:
·         B-1 Visa – Visitor for Business
·         B-2 Visa – Visitor for Pleasure

(For further information, contact Martha Swanson in MPS Student Placement Services - Martha.Swanson@mpls.k12.mn.us)